Friday, March 20, 2009

Can you afford to lose your portfolio ?

A few weeks ago I noticed that my computer's hard drive seemed to be making more noise than when I bought it. Louder when reading or writing. Clatter. Clacking.

It had been a while since I'd burned any backups, so I threw in a disc and made one.

Then I checked the disc to confirm all was good, only to discover MY COMPUTER COULDN"T READ THE DISC !

Now I'm concerned. I have a lot of images and projects for clients, both done and in-progress, and I certainly can't afford to start all over again.

NOW WHAT?

I began thinking of anything I could fall back on to keep from possibly losing hundreds of hours' work.

I went to Google and looked for "best online backup" and got MOZY as the result that had the best reviews and satisfaction. THEN I discovered you could have 2 GB free without subscribing to their service -- "2 GB of 100% free backup space. No setup fee, no credit cards, no monthly payments, no expiration." So I did. In a hurry.

After uploading the most critical files I started to think about their pro upgrade and realized that an hour of my work is a LOT more valuable than their $4.95 monthly fee.

I upgraded.

Their interface is easy to use. You configure it to run the way you like and it does it's thing while you aren't working, so there's no distraction from your day-to-day production.

Once all was secured and duplicated online, I took a moment to contact my local independent computer tech and told him of my concerns. Made an appointment.

Took the machine in to his shop. He turned it on and immediately pronounced that my hard drive was toast !

To make a long story short, MOZY saved my ass in the nick of time.

I lost several day's work while my machine was in the shop getting a new drive, but recovered everything when I restored the entire system from MOZY into my brand new drive.

I heartily recommend you try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment